Saturday, January 1, 2011

King of Kings


Dear friends,

On the authority of Abu Hurayrah (may Allah be pleased with him), who said that the Prophet (may the blessings and peace of Allah be upon him) said: Allah the Almighty says:  

I am as My servant thinks I am. I am with him when he makes mention of Me. If he makes mention of Me to himself, I make mention of him to Myself; and if he makes mention of Me in an assembly, I make mention of him in an assembly better than it. And if he draws near to Me a hand's span, I draw near to him an arm's length; and if he draws near to Me an arm's length, I draw near to him a fathom's length. And if he comes to Me walking, I go to him at speed.

 [Related by al-Bukhari, and also by Muslim, at-Tirmidhi and Ibn Majah]

In the quietness of thought and clarity of perspective, I come to reflect on this past year and the coming chapter. We often measure our accomplishments (or lack thereof) this way, in yearly portions, so much so that we can assign a particular capsule of feeling to each year. 2006 was a loose canon, 2007 was an exercise in reality, 2008 was hard work, 2009 was a (much welcome) learning curve, 2010 was..

What was 2010?

It seemed from the get go that I was restless of what to come after, all the while coasting through what was once present. That much I can say with conviction. 

At the closing of this chapter and while I step into the light of limbo, I find myself wanting to maintain a certain combination of priorities attributed to 2010. But, for want of change, change must first spring from whom is found wanting, so He reminds in Surah Ar-Ra'd (The Thunder), 13:11. Hence, the perspective for my afters and presents must, I feel, be rendered in the light of God. 

I must still be restless for what to is to come after, only now it refers to so much more than the follies of this world. I must coast through that which is unnecessary of the present, to live with simplicity, modesty and humility as did our beloved prophet, and to be in constant remembrance of Him. This is why I bring to you the above hadith, one of my favorite quotations from our beloved, who delights us in that which was revealed to him.

I sincerely hope the closing of your chapter, or sub-chapter, is touched with fresh aspirations too, that you find delight in that which you have learned, and intend to do so much more here on out. May our hopes, resolutions and dreams for the coming year(s) bring us closer to Him, inshaAllah. For when we approach Him in our walk, He promises to run.

2011?

??

Credit to A. Anuar

No comments:

Post a Comment